HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Aldeburgh & Southwold, Suffolk.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY

PostSubject: Aldeburgh & Southwold, Suffolk.   Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:19 am

On Monday San & myself were both off for the day, so we phoned Brenda & Brian, to see if they wanted to go somewhere for the day. Brian said, "How about Aldeburgh & Southwold in Suffolk?", so we all duly set off just after 10am. We were doing quite well until we got on the notorious A14 between Huntingdon & Cambridge, as apparently, there had been an accident at the A14/M11 junction. The traffic was stacking back at least 10 miles, so we decided, well it was my decision actually, to turn off & follow the A1123 & A142 to Newmarket, rejoining the A14 there. We stopped off for a coffee at Fordham Garden Centre. http://www.fordhamgardencentre.co.uk/   We finally went up the A12 off of the A14 from Ipswich towards Lowestoft, & turned off heading to Aldeburgh, through the drizzle.
Well when we arrived at Aldeburgh, well after 1.15pm, the sun was shining & it was very mild. sunny  So San shouts out, "Smile for the camera", photographer  those who know her realise what I am on about. roll eyes 
Brenda, Brian & myself smiling for the camera.

Brenda Brian & San, with the Rainbow coming out of the top of San's head. angel 

Heading along the promenade.

Looking back the other way, after we extracted the Rainbow from San's head.

Well it started to rain a bit, so we had to take shelter, go for a drink in other words, at the Brundenell Hotel, which is overlooking the sea. It is a lovely Hotel from the front & the inside, a bit on the pricey side though. affraid 
http://www.brudenellhotel.co.uk/
San & Brenda enjoying a glass of wine.

Brian, who had an eye infection hence the sunglasses, Cool  & myself enjoying a beer. morebeer 

Aldeburgh is a lovely, but rather expensive place, due to a lot of second homes people have there, that have pushed up the prices. The Town reminds me of a smaller version of Whitstable in Kent. But well worth a trip out if you are anywhere near, but I would imagine that it is quite packed on a summer weekend.
So we had a wander along the only main High St, heading back towards the car. We then went to Southwold via Thorpeness, a place my old Mum Heart  used to love, when she was a Nanny for a Doctor's family, as they used to holiday there every summer.
This is a fabulous residence, just outside of Thorpeness, called The House in the Clouds. http://www.houseintheclouds.co.uk/index.php?pid=1

We arrived at Southwold at about 3.30ish, so it was getting a bit dark, blustery & light drizzle, but we stopped in front of the pier, & had a walk along it. http://www.southwoldpier.co.uk/
Me at the start of the Pier.

Brenda & San with their brolly up braving the Pier.

A Water Clock which was in the middle of the Pier, but telling the wrong time by about half an hour.

Southwold Lighthouse in the background breaking the late afternoon gloom.

A different type of Amusements in the Under The Pier Show.
Brian looking like he was having a pee on the Mobility Masterclass Game.

Other, different to say the least, Games to play.

San & Brenda looking at Brian on his Mobility Game, he got run over at the end. surprised Also that isn't a real bloke behind the bars to the right of the photo.

Our last photo of the day showing off the bright lights of the front of the Pier.

All in all we had a great day out, just a shame about the delay on the A14, which cut into our day by at least an hour. But well worth a trip to the see places if you are ever in the area.

Mad Destination Expert

PostSubject: Re: Aldeburgh & Southwold, Suffolk.   Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:01 pm

nice little trip Mick, I sort of remember tying up a boat on the broads near there and we then walked to the sandy beach
rep from me
Back to top Go down
4thforum

PostSubject: Re: Aldeburgh & Southwold, Suffolk.   Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:19 pm

looks like you got all seasons in one day there Mick. Like those quirky little places, like a smaller version of Brighton. Repped!
Back to top Go down
4thforum

PostSubject: Re: Aldeburgh & Southwold, Suffolk.   Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:21 pm

Hey up Db, I just wanted to see what happens when I press the minus sign beside your post. Ooops! Promise I'll return a rep next time you make a joke ( even if its not funny!)
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY

PostSubject: Re: Aldeburgh & Southwold, Suffolk.   Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:23 pm

Cheers guys. cheers 

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aldeburgh & Southwold, Suffolk.   Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:07 pm

4thforum wrote:
Hey up Db, I just wanted to see what happens when I press the minus sign beside your post. Ooops! Promise I'll return a rep next time you make a joke ( even if its not funny!)
rolling laughing repped hehehe

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aldeburgh & Southwold, Suffolk.   Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:08 pm

Great review Mick well done and repped.

What I want to know is who's camera did San have. lol! 

ALL ROUND GOOD GUY

PostSubject: Re: Aldeburgh & Southwold, Suffolk.   Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:11 pm

Daryn wrote:
Great review Mick well done and repped.

What I want to know is who's camera did San have. lol! 
Cheers mate. cheers  Believe or not Daryn her own. fainting 

lol! lol! lol! lol! 

Mad Destination Expert

PostSubject: Re: Aldeburgh & Southwold, Suffolk.   Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:33 pm

Daryn wrote:
4thforum wrote:
what you've repped 4th for derepping me Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
4thforum

PostSubject: Re: Aldeburgh & Southwold, Suffolk.   Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:36 pm

Seems fair to me Thumsup 
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert

PostSubject: Re: Aldeburgh & Southwold, Suffolk.   Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:39 pm

rolling laughing rolling laughing rolling laughing moonie 
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aldeburgh & Southwold, Suffolk.   Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:44 pm

It did make me giggle though lol

MF joke teller

PostSubject: Re: Aldeburgh & Southwold, Suffolk.   Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:15 pm

rep mick..

aldeburgh is a nice little place hey mick..

when i was working at sizewell nuclear station we rented a cottage in aldeburgh,lovely

but as you said mate,a bit pricey.the one pub we tried,the croos keys,charges 4 quid a pint,robin barstewards.

nice little town though,we enjoyed it there,couple of pubs,a chippy,chinky and of course right on the coast.

our cottage was fantastic £450 a week,but class,11 acres of grounds with a private beach,free access to canoes/kyacs.

if ever we have to work that way again it will be the 1st place we try.

great reviw mick
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY

PostSubject: Re: Aldeburgh & Southwold, Suffolk.   Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:45 pm

Cheers Yozef. I know it is for your work now & again mate, but the only blot on the landscape is the Sizewell Reactor just up the coast from Aldeburgh.

ALL ROUND GOOD GUY

PostSubject: Re: Aldeburgh & Southwold, Suffolk.   Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:46 pm

delboy wrote:
Daryn wrote:
4thforum wrote:
what you've repped 4th for derepping me Rolling Eyes 
I feel your pain mate, as it has happened to me on a few occasions. mad  A rep for your suffering Del. big hug 

lolol lolol lolol lolol 

MF joke teller

PostSubject: Re: Aldeburgh & Southwold, Suffolk.   Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:04 pm

i know,and agree with what you are saying about blots on landscapes mick

i work on a lot of power stations all around the country mick most are on the coast,due to their need for lots of water.

i drive through some beautiful country side and coastal roads only to round a corner and come upon a monstrosity,shame.

my present nuclear station is hinkley point,somerset is set in a stunning location,right on the coast with beautiful views.

it's heart breaking some times on a lovely day goig through them gates....all i want to do is shoot off somewhere along the coast with my camera.

hey ho,needs must
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY

PostSubject: Re: Aldeburgh & Southwold, Suffolk.   Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:42 pm

I know what you are saying mate, beautiful parts of the country are ruined.

Majorca Mad

PostSubject: Re: Aldeburgh & Southwold, Suffolk.   Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:05 pm

Rep Mick Very Happy (the one above this one before anyone accuses me of red repping Very Happy )

PostSubject: Re: Aldeburgh & Southwold, Suffolk.   

Back to top Go down

Aldeburgh & Southwold, Suffolk.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: WORLDWIDE TRAVEL REVIEW SECTION NEW FOR 2011. EST 18/05/11 :: ENTER HERE :: UNITED KINGDOM :: UK RESORT REVIEW-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum