Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Greece, Island of Crete, Cretan Malia Park hotel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mark
Majorca Mad

PostSubject: Greece, Island of Crete, Cretan Malia Park hotel   Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:27 am

We stayed at the Cretan Malia Park hotel the 2nd week of July 2015.
The hotel is rated as 4 star and it was well worth this rating IMO.
We had booked a 'bungalow' room on a half board basis, but it became clear from further research, that these were not all on the ground floor, so I requested one via some emailing before we arrived, and the hotel just replied and said they would do their best.
When we arrived the hotel said that they was sorry but there were no ground floor ones available immediately, but that we could change rooms the next day if we didn't like the room that we had been allocated, and that to make up for our trouble, they were giving us two free lunches! Which was a nice touch.
So, the first room we was given was basically a studio apartment, quite spacious, huge bed!, with a regular balcony.
It was fully equipped with a (free) electronic safe, fridge, kettle with cups and coffee/tea/creamer, TV, although the English channels were limited.

We settled in, and had a walk around the hotels grounds, which were well spread out, beautiful gardens, about 5 pools, and leading to it's own section of beach.

We also spotted that some rooms had direct access into some of the pools.

After the days travelling and the afternoon by the beach with a few beers, a nice meal, he had an early night (Greece is 2 hours in front of the UK), so we was up early the next morning, and we saw the sunrise from our balcony.

We'd decided that the room was more than adequate for us, so on the way to breakfast we told them there was no need to move us, we'd stay put.
We then headed to breakfast, which was immediately satisfying, as we was asked "inside or outside", we chose outside and was shown to a lovely table for two in the part sunshine, and the waiter bought us a fresh pot of coffee to our table.

The breakfast spread on offer was superb, I've only really had better breakfasts when we was 5 star in Mexico. As well as eggs all ways, there was a DIY juicer for drinks, a guy making yoghurt based smoothies (the one with honey was particularly nice), with a full selection of fruits as well.
There was also a guy that was flipping pancakes all breakfast long, you just HAD to round off your breakfast with a few of these drizzled in fresh honey Very Happy

The hotel reception area had a few small shops and a jewellers, the small shop sold just about everything for the room that you might need (cold drinks and snacks).

The reception area led to a bar area with internal seating, as well as the outside seating, where the evening entertainment shows were. We stayed in one night and saw the shows but they wasn't really our cup of tea.

There was a good choice of pools, never any problems with sunbeds, which also came with spongy cushions.

After returning to the hotel on Friday afternoon, following our day trip out, the receptionist asked us if we would like a free room upgrade to a ground floor sea front bungalow, which we said yes to, so Saturday morning we moved apartments.
These were tucked down by the sea front (obviously), behind another set of pools.

Although the internal of the room was essentially the same, different bathroom layout, bigger TV...

the opening up of the patio doors gave a splendid view of the sea and the beach, just across a small grassed area, where we had our own sunbeds and parasol.

After the move, we spent most evenings, after the evening meal, just sitting on our patio with our own drinks bought from the supermarket, just talking and listening to the waves. We also observed a constant patrol of security men, going past every 15 - 20 mins, with torches, so that no-one could come into the resort from the beach area. This was so reassuring that some nights we slept with the patio doors wide open so we could hear the waves.
Being so close to the beach, I got up and walked across to see the sunrise a few mornings, just so peaceful.

So the morning view from our room was this:

The sea was beautiful and warm, with some great breakers!, and having direct access to it was a definite bonus, we just strolled across the grass and was in and back to our patio for a top up drink Very Happy

Hard to say what more you would want from a holiday hotel really unless you want 5 star.
The only downsides to this hotel I would say was that it was a little bit too far out of town (20 min walk) for evening strolls, although there were a few bars and shops directly outside the gates, and - unbelievably lol - the water in the swimming pools was too hot! Seriously, Crete in July is very hot indeed and when you jump in a pool to cool off you don't want it to feel like a bath.
The only other remark is that the crickets in the trees can be a bit noisy at times, when you just want to snooze by the pool/beach.

Girl Power Member

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Crete, Cretan Malia Park hotel   Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:30 am

Great review & pics, Mark  -  I love hotels that are right on the beach!

Thanks for sharing  -  rep on the way.

Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Crete, Cretan Malia Park hotel   Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:21 pm

Nice review, the place looked lovely repped

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Crete, Cretan Malia Park hotel   Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:29 pm

excellent review!
Back to top Go down
Hayzer
ALL ROUND DESTINATION EXPERT

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Crete, Cretan Malia Park hotel   Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:29 pm

Looks nice, I think things must have changed a lot since we were there some 20 odd years ago, then all the hotels were very basic but I assume to attract tourists the standard has had to rise to compete with other countries.

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Crete, Cretan Malia Park hotel   Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

your rooms looked good and the breakfast something else lol, rep from me
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Crete, Cretan Malia Park hotel   Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:12 pm

Fantastic photo's & review/blog Mark, rep from me as well. clap clap

Lil 'ol wine drinker

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Crete, Cretan Malia Park hotel   Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:46 pm

Looks fab Mark !
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Crete, Cretan Malia Park hotel   Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:19 am

I think there's still a lot of basic 2 star B & B's out there H, it's more in keeping with how Greece does things from what I've seen, but some of the 5 star places we looked at in the Elounda area were top notch, - with prices to match as well.

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Crete, Cretan Malia Park hotel   

Back to top Go down

Greece, Island of Crete, Cretan Malia Park hotel

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: WORLDWIDE TRAVEL REVIEW SECTION NEW FOR 2011. EST 18/05/11 :: ENTER HERE :: GREECE includes Greek Islands :: HOTEL/ACCOM REVIEW SECTION-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum