Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide travel forum

Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide travel forum

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

D'Or Tobago Hotel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mark
Majorca Mad

PostSubject: D'Or Tobago Hotel   Thu 7 Apr 2011 - 12:42

We stayed at the Hotel D’Or Tobago in Palmanova the first week of April 2011. The D’Or in the title is the name of the hotel group.
Briefly, this three star hotel has the full range of opinions from good to bad.

Reception

The hotel is located on the boundary between Palmanova & Magalluf, actually overlooking Son Matias beach.

View from room 130 in the afternoon.

The evening view across the bay was equally pleasant.

The hotel is opposite the Hawaii, and Ruby Tuesdays bar, and the Blue Bar restaurant.

The hotel has a mixture of floor levels, due to being four main tower blocks of various heights, with the highest block being 9 floors high.

The rooms were of a fair size, we seemed to be lucky and had a room with a small kitchenette, and although the two hob rings were disconnected, having a fridge, sink, and a worktop in the main room was a useful bonus.

The hotel offers half & full board. The size of the restaurant was ok for off peak, but could lead to queues in peak season.

We stayed half board. The breakfast, in my opinion, was awful. Eggs either undercooked or overcooked, bacon swimming in oil, sausages were different everyday, one day they were a type that was actually *white* in colour, seemingly anaemic. Not only that, but it was totally disorganised, cereal bowls were two stands away next to biscuits, tea bags were by the yogurt (which was an open bowl that you spooned out with a ladle) no fresh fruit, sugar next to the bread, butter next to the yogurt, all 25 metres from each other.

Quite by contrast, the evening meals were good to excellent. We had roast beef two out of five days, the second time around there were also mutton leg steaks which were at least 6 oz each, meat cooked till it fell off the bone. Always some roast chicken available, also always a mixed veg variety. Excellent salad selection, often with bowls of shell on king prawns, fresh fish dishes everyday too. Puddings were minimal but sufficient. Four types of ice cream, fresh fruit, cakes etc.
The full board guests get free wine and water with their evening meals, half board guests have to pay.

The pool area is on the small side for peak season.

But on the whole the hotel was clean with efficient staff, and in my opinion represented a good value for the price paid.
I would go again in off peak.
Panoramic view.

Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert

PostSubject: Re: D'Or Tobago Hotel   Thu 7 Apr 2011 - 12:52

A good honest review Mark, unusual for the hotel to fall down on its breakfast as there is little to normally go wrong.
The bedroom looks comparable with the Marina Torrenova.
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY

PostSubject: Re: D'Or Tobago Hotel   Thu 7 Apr 2011 - 14:41

I wil echo what Delboy said, good honest review with good accompanying photo's. Like you say mate, might be a tad cramped in season.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: D'Or Tobago Hotel   Thu 7 Apr 2011 - 14:45

Brilliant review, we stayed there a few years back and said we wouldnt go back, we had the same type of room as you.
The breakfast was awful and if I remember we went out for our breakie, in the dining area above the food it was full of
dust again this was off season. Saying that if it were really cheap and only for a couple of nights I would go back room only.

OFFICIAL VODKA TASTER

PostSubject: Re: D'Or Tobago Hotel   Thu 7 Apr 2011 - 14:46

It looks lovely Mark, esp as you had the kitchenette part in your room. I have seen offers for this hotel in the past, quite cheap but have been concerned as also read they tend to have overbooking issues - obv you didn't.

We tend to go for self catering as I like having the fridge, sink, kettle etc but you got it all in your room.

Fab report.
Back to top Go down
http://www.debssweetdelights.co.uk
Mark
Majorca Mad

PostSubject: Re: D'Or Tobago Hotel   Thu 7 Apr 2011 - 14:46

Well, the beach is opposite I suppose. One extra thing, there is a side/rear gate to the beach, this is now locked all the time, for 'security' reasons. I asked at reception if there were any plans to introduce a swipe card entry lock on the gate, like the other popular hotel Mirlos Tordos has... the irony of the style of question was lost unfortunately Laughing

Qué? Shocked

PostSubject: Re: D'Or Tobago Hotel   Sat 4 Jun 2011 - 21:05

Nice to see a informed review of this hotel,we have always meant to pop in and have a look around as i know you can get cheap deals for the Tobago.
We will certainly pop in now after seeing the review and pictures,a couple of questions,i presume you can ask for seaview/pool view and did you have any noise at night from guests?
Is it comparable to the Hawaii which i think is a decent hotel?
Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin

PostSubject: Re: D'Or Tobago Hotel   Sun 5 Jun 2011 - 5:29

Ive stayed at both and prefer the Hawaii myself off season anyway. To be honest we only had a 3 night break at the Tobago but with it
being off season and the staff not rushed off there feet you would expect better cleanliness in the dining area, its been a few years now
so things may have improved, I would go back for a cheapy it wouldnt put me off but it would be room only. The rooms were nice and clean.

PostSubject: Re: D'Or Tobago Hotel   Sun 5 Jun 2011 - 9:59

Thanks Daryn,i know it was an old topic that i came across,i was looking last night as we are tempted by the October meet up,
We could get 5 nights for £94.00 total for the two of us and it would be cheaper if we went room only,flights £94 each,i will have to look at the pennies!! Cool
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad

PostSubject: Re: D'Or Tobago Hotel   Sun 5 Jun 2011 - 10:12

Hi Tracey, we went at the tail end of the winter season, and the hotel was mostly full of Spanish OAP's, so the noise at night after the entertainment finished at around midnight was minimal.
I've also stayed there in July before but can't remember evening noise being an issue.

Comparable with the Hawaii? Yes. Very similar standards.

I also presume you can request pool view etc, although we didn't, just took pot luck. It did appear though, on checking in, that my name came up on the computer as a returning guest, so quite possibly we were given a 'better' room due to some preferred client policy.
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY

PostSubject: Re: D'Or Tobago Hotel   Sun 5 Jun 2011 - 12:38

Be great if you could make the meet up Tracey, the more the merrier. meetup drunk dancing

Admin

PostSubject: Re: D'Or Tobago Hotel   Sun 5 Jun 2011 - 16:13

Ohhhhh it would be great if you could make the meet up and for that price you cant go wrong, the Hawaii gets shaded around the pool area
early on in October

PostSubject: Re: D'Or Tobago Hotel   Sun 5 Jun 2011 - 16:38

Yes it would be great,it is just an idea at the moment as we will just have had our holiday,we come home on the 17th september but i am looking to see if i could get it really cheap,i dont think we would get the Hawaii for that price although it is my fave hotel,i will keep looking
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad

PostSubject: Re: D'Or Tobago Hotel   Sat 1 Apr 2017 - 10:21

Just an update to this older thread on this hotel, the hotel has been taken over now by the 'Fergus' group.
Little has changed from the above pics, although I was told that the kitchenette rooms are now gone. There were newer sunbeds around the pool than in the above pics.
The rear gate, which gives direct access to The Blue Bar and Son Matias Beach, was open during the day. No card or key needed.
We was given a room with 3 beds in it so had plenty of room for our short stay.

The bathroom was the norm, it had a bidet and a bath, the shower head took a bit of working out as it wanted to rise to level from the water pressure, so it just sprayed you directly in your face!

I'd say the food had improved, breakfasts were fine, lunch times even better, I loved all the variations of salad mixes that they did. Jan also said that the Rosé on tap with meals was perfectly acceptable.

We would go again for a short stay, probably not for a weeks holiday as there's a lot better choices out there.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: D'Or Tobago Hotel   Sun 2 Apr 2017 - 13:45

Its been a while since we stayed there (only once) we found the hotel clean but the food was just ok for us. Thanks for the pdate Mark repped

PostSubject: Re: D'Or Tobago Hotel   

Back to top Go down

D'Or Tobago Hotel

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide travel forum :: MAJORCA SECTION :: MAJORCA ACCOMMODATION / MAJORCA RESORT REVIEW SECTIONS :: PALMA NOVA :: PALMA NOVA ACCOMMODATION-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum