Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Question ( 7)..... How do I connect my notebook to a WIFI abroad

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
WirralScouse
DE/Prophet of Doom

PostSubject: Question ( 7)..... How do I connect my notebook to a WIFI abroad   Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:50 pm

Before I start I presume everybody knows I am a technophobe.That doesn't stop me buying gear.I have a Toshiba Notebook I bought when Mrs WS spotted it as Today's Special Value on QVC £270 and I have used it to try it out at home.It was a good price but I don't have call to use it as I have my laptop fused to the dinner table in the kitchen/diner. Evil or Very Mad

Going for a week in Marbella end of this month (looking forward to it as it's a very nice place indeed believe me-went in February) and of course the meet up early October.Tempted to get some value out of my Notebook.Assuming I find a WiFi zone in Spain how do I go about getting on the net with my fully-charged Notebook? Somehow I can't get to grips with the idea of using one of my puters 1,000 miles away from the router.I don't have a dongle.Not one worthy of the name anyway.

Using Sol Mirlos' own PCs for public use is extremely expensive.Not as bad as Royal Caribbean cruise ships but hardly justifiable.That's why I ask.
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad

PostSubject: Re: Question ( 7)..... How do I connect my notebook to a WIFI abroad   Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:43 am

I take it that your notebook has wireless capability? Can you connect to your wireless router at home?

If so, it'll be easy once out in Marbella. In fact, anywhere. When you turn your notebook on, it'll automatically search for wi-fi networks that are within range. Typically you'll be looking for an 'unsecured' network, probably bearing the name of the Cafe/Resto/hotel that you are in. You'll then just need to click on the 'connect to this network' option. If you are in a hotel or resto you'll probably have to then type in some sort of code/password that reception or the waiter will supply to you... otherwise anyone walking by will just be able to connect.
Once you have a connection, then you'll just use your notebook like your home laptop. I suggest you download and install Google Chrome as your web browser before leaving, you can also then click and save a couple of 'favorite places', like this forum. One click access then, once abroad.
Back to top Go down
WirralScouse
DE/Prophet of Doom

PostSubject: Re: Question ( 7)..... How do I connect my notebook to a WIFI abroad   Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:02 pm

Thanks Mark.I understood it all :tup: Yes it has wireless capability.I have loaded Google Chrome on my laptop following Daryn's tip.Will do so on the Notebook.
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad

PostSubject: Re: Question ( 7)..... How do I connect my notebook to a WIFI abroad   Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:43 pm

One more tip wirral.
The little joy pad on a notebook, that you have to save having a mouse, is a bit fiddly, I suggest you buy a 'travel mouse' to go with it. Just something simple like this one Very Happy

DE/Prophet of Doom

PostSubject: Re: Question ( 7)..... How do I connect my notebook to a WIFI abroad   Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:27 pm

Already got one for it Mark and another for the laptop.It's a Logitech.I bought them because they were quite cheap and highly-rated by users on Amazon.I can't be ar*ed using those pads.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question ( 7)..... How do I connect my notebook to a WIFI abroad   

Back to top Go down

Question ( 7)..... How do I connect my notebook to a WIFI abroad

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: MISCELLANEOUS :: TRAVEL TIPS , KEEPING SAFE ON HOLIDAY / HINTS AND TIPS ON HOW TO USE THE FORUM-
Jump to:  
Forumotion.com | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum