Share | 

The Silk Purse Project

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Mark
Majorca Mad

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:26 am

As well as the above, while I was insulating the loft, I investigated and discovered that the existing roofing felt had perished, and needed replacing. It wasn't even roofing felt that had been used, it was something that is called 'building paper', it's basically a type of paper with a very thin tar based middle, I mean wafer thin. It had deteriorated to the extent that it just crumbled to dust when it was touched.
I hadn't really allowed for repairing this in my budget, but it's one of those things that has to be done, as the saying goes, "you need a roof over your head" Very Happy

The only way to do this is to remove the tiles, and batten, and felt, and lay new felt, new battens, and re-use the old tiles. Ideally you would use new tiles, but the old ones were sound enough, and the budget isn't unlimited.

I was always going to replace the fascias and soffits, so done this at this time.

Whilst the old fascias were off, I took the opportunity to wire in downlights for the soffit, and over the front door, with a PIR detector. The finished article looks like this:

Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:41 am

I like that very nice touch

ALL ROUND GOOD GUY

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:02 am

Love what you have done with the decking & the lights around the house front mate. clap clap

Mad Destination Expert

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:35 am

excellent Mark, dry lining is the easy bit. it's Jan doing the plastering that is the real skill rolling laughing Love the lighting around the house did Jan scrub the old tiles for you
Back to top Go down
debdon
OFFICIAL VODKA TASTER

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:34 am

looking really good
Back to top Go down
http://www.debssweetdelights.co.uk
Mark
Majorca Mad

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:28 pm

Where was we? Oh yes;

The lounge had received the first lick of paint, and there was coving and skirting to fit, followed by wallpapering. With my own work taking up my time, not much has happened, although the above has been done. There has also been a new door fitted, and the lights have been done. There's no carpet yet, as once the rear extension is built, we'll need to break through at that point (removing the french doors), and the carpet will need to marry up with the laminate floor that will be fitted in the new kitchen/dining area. But it's progressed enough that we have bought in a sofa and chairs and have a lounge area with a small table for now.
Planning permission has been applied for and is about 4 weeks away. No rush, as I have plenty of other work at the moment.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:51 pm

slowly but surely mate, work comes first to pay for it all. Pity you didnt have lots of work on before this, would you have moved from your old home ?

Majorca Mad

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:15 pm

Well maybe not when we did, but eventually we would have moved. Really glad we did though. Paid off the debts and had last summer off, and have a new place that's shaping up just fine.

Might not move when it's done wah

OFFICIAL VODKA TASTER

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:32 pm

Looking great Mark, absolutely love the down lighting outside (gonna pinch that idea for our new place)

Will have to make sure our camera is charged up when we move
Back to top Go down
http://www.debssweetdelights.co.uk
delboy
Mad Destination Expert

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:25 pm

I like the new lights on the ceiling Mark, its coming along well cheers
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:00 am

Starting to look great Mark. clap clap One thing I did notice, is that you got your priorities right by setting up your office for MF mate. wink

lolol lolol lolol lolol

Mad Destination Expert

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:09 am

better bogs too, when do we all move down rolling laughing
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:33 am

He obviously didn't get the memo, we all did then. wink

Majorca Mad

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:01 am

Daryn's having an outside one built in the garden, especially for him Very Happy

ALL ROUND GOOD GUY

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:22 am

Good idea mate, have you ever been in after him. eek fainting

rolling laughing rolling laughing rolling laughing rolling laughing

Majorca Mad

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   Sun May 20, 2012 11:27 pm

Not much has been happening recently, as i've had my own work to get on with. However, the planning permission has been granted, and the work is starting to come to the end now, so soon it will be full steam ahead on the new rear extension, which will be the new kitchen and dining room.
So in preparation for this, i've started taking the garage down, this is to allow the digger to get in, the mortar joints in the brickwork had perished anyway, i'm also going to extend it by 6 foot at the rear to make room for 'garage stuff' Very Happy
Today I also took the rear conservatory down.
So it did look like this:

And now looks like this:

Starting to amass a large heap of rubble now though wah

Mad Destination Expert

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   Sun May 20, 2012 11:34 pm

your pile is slightly bigger than ours Very Happy

should be good this, is the base down for the kitchen and extension or were they there before
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   Sun May 20, 2012 11:46 pm

It's the old base, and will have to be dug up.

ALL ROUND GOOD GUY

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   Thu May 24, 2012 10:40 pm

Can't wait to see photo's of your new buildings going up mate. Thumsup

Majorca Mad

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   Tue May 29, 2012 10:32 pm

Ok so it's full steam ahead now. The garage had to come down to allow for the digger and dumper to get in.

Now once the garage is rebuilt, I won't have chance to get the digger in for the gardening work, so this has to come first, it also clears space so that you can move a bit more freely.
The rear had started to amass weeds and stuff since it was cleared at the end of last year, so this needed a scrape off

But this made a large heap of scrag ends, full of old roots and sods of turf. It also left the ground levels a bit low, so some top soil was needed. As the front will have an extra car parking space created somewhere down the line, this will need digging out for hard core first, so I removed a large section of the good soil and moved it to the rear.

I then had a space where I could resite the scrag ends to, ready for collection.

So with the scrag ends removed, there was just the question of of large pile of hard core to find a home for.

Now this had been part of my plan from the beginning, I knew I would have to build a new soakaway, and knowing that the area sits on a seam of decent gravel, I suspected that I would be able to extract enough gravel to re-use for base concreting works later. So a hole was dug , creating a soakaway hole, and extracting the gravel at the same time.

Once dug, it was simple to just fill the hole with the hard core, and level off with dirt. Final topping to come tomorrow.

So after just 2 days, some semblance of order is beginning to form.

ALL ROUND GOOD GUY

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   Tue May 29, 2012 11:04 pm

Beginning to take shape mate. clap clap

Mad Destination Expert

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   Tue May 29, 2012 11:23 pm

Yes this is it cheers clap
Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:51 am

Just came across this thread now! (Prob as it is in the photography section . . . )
Fantastic job - well done both of you! Rep!
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:35 pm

So the progression towards starting the extension continues, the logistics of it are a bit of a nightmare, it involves building a bit so something can be used, which means space is created so something can be put there, allowing for something else to be moved, and so on.
The side wall to the garage extension at the rear was built.

Which allowed for the oversite's to be concreted.
I was then able to concrete two further areas where shed's will be sited at a later date.

Moving towards the rear, a trench was dug and a drain for the rainwater was installed.

All of this takes time when your helpers are novices Very Happy

Borders were simply installed at the sides, using straight long lengths of timber decking, and final raking level of the top soil surface was commenced.

With some final moving forwards of remaining gravel and dirt, we had enough surface that I could lay the main part of the lawn, which creates a no-go area, and has the summer to establish itself.

Rear view towards the house.

So the start of the extension can be commenced, this involves digging out completely all of the old concrete works that was the previous patio and conservatory base, - the conservatory base having been laid on top of the old patio wah

And this is where we are to date.

Girl Power Member

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:52 pm

Gosh! laying the lawn down makes such a big difference - admire your foresight!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   

Back to top Go down

The Silk Purse Project

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: MISCELLANEOUS :: PHOTOGRAPHY SECTION-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum