Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Maldives - Conrad Rangali

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Roving Mike

PostSubject: Maldives - Conrad Rangali   Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:58 pm

[i]Here is a report I did on Rangali a few years ago. Since then they have built a new pool on the smaller island but kept it (and that particular part of the resort) mainly adult only. It may have a few more adult visitors from the main island but nothing (I hope) to damage the 'peace' of this particular place. They have also put up prices hugely since they changed it from a Hilton to a Conrad (same company).

[b]Counting this trip I we have spent 42 days at this resort in 13 months.
Surely the love affair must have faded and usual wanderlust restored?

The answer is no and no as this place is the closest to perfection I can find. It is not just the special location, Rangali Island itself or even the Vilu Bar it goes deeper than that. I think it is a blend of many things that I guess I must need like peace, tranquility, the occasional Tiger beer (joke??) but mainly it is being surrounded by the really nice people who work there. I am an old sceptic but I am absolutely certain these people were personally pleased to see us and the welcome went beyond just hotel efficiency. If they were to say "missing you already" they would actually mean it.

Rangali Island became my permanent camp. It fits my comfort zone like a pair of well worn slippers. The other island of the resort is not for me personally but that is more down to me and what I need than anything else because it is simply magnificently put together. The Spa hanging off the end of it is definately not for me. Carrot juice in the mini bar, minimalist breakfasts and some well meaning Thai lady beating the hell out of my muscles does not meet my holiday needs. HOWEVER the great thing is that Hilton has provided three distinct first class resorts in one that you can mix and match as you choose. For example you can sit on the deck of your water villa on Rangali seeing no one and nothing but fish in the morning, go and have a first class spa treatment in the afternoon and THEN spend the evening in a buzzing main island bar talking football to the barman before dining under the stars or under the water in the Sunset or Ithia restaurant. WOW what a tough life!!

So what did I do/learn during my sojurn on the chilled out peaceful Rangali Water Villa Island? Very little except 1/ Morning, sit on deck and watch fish followed by quick swim and late breakfast at the Vilu 2/ Park on favourite part of the beach, accept water, cold towels and fruit and see next to no one for a few hours. 3/ Retire to the Vilu bar for free drinks and bites at 5 p.m. happy hour, meet a few other guest and flop out on a day bed and read a book. 4/ Go back to the room, chat to the cleaner, put on some flip flops and off to dinner. 5/ Back to room, late night swim under the spotlight, bottle of wine and sleep.

What else? Snorkelling (great organised trips), Big Game fishing (two 90lb Yellowfin Tuna) and very little else. Oh by the way, If you walk on the bridge at night you may see Manta rays directly below you and if you are really luck like me then go late at night to the sandspit and watch a giant turtle come out of the sea and lay her eggs.

Should you go there? Probably my opinion is obvious however you really need to decide what you individually want out of a holiday. I would say that if you want desert island chill out but with luxury take a Rangali water villa. If that would be too much isolation and you want a bit more life and the best spec beach villas you have ever seen then go for the main island. Finally, if you are the health worshipper type the spa and its water villas have to be seen to be believed. And if you simply cannot decide just go for your favourite and then ask to be upgraded/downgrade for a few of the days when you get there or simply just visit the other places as , after all, it is only 5 minutes across the lagoon on a regular Dhoni ferry.

Going back to my begining statement I now have a problem. what do you do when you find the perfect place? I know, be boring, go back again !

Back to top Go down
http://travelprotales.blogspot.com
delboy
Mad Destination Expert

PostSubject: Re: Maldives - Conrad Rangali   Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:21 pm

A lovely review Mike, yes the resorts and the Maldives are marvellous and I agree with you, I would love to go back, we were going to do it for our 40th but other things stopped it happening
Back to top Go down
beeech
Lil 'ol wine drinker

PostSubject: Re: Maldives - Conrad Rangali   Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:20 pm

rep from me Mike - sounds( and ) looks fantastic

smile
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Maldives - Conrad Rangali   Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:33 pm

Well what can I say you have the hang of this now Mike. What a fab looking place and the pics bring it to life. A rep from me mate well done

Girl Power Member

PostSubject: Re: Maldives - Conrad Rangali   Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:49 pm

I have often thought before . . . I'd love to go to the Maldives . . . .

But there is nothing else to see there . . . no trips/places to visit . . .

But I now feel I'm ready for that type of chill-out holiday.

At the moment . . . I'd love to be somewhere like that, just listening to the sea lapping and the P+Q . . . .

Got some brochures today, just to have a look!

LOOK WHAT YOU'VE STARTED Mike!
Back to top Go down
WirralScouse
DE/Prophet of Doom

PostSubject: Re: Maldives - Conrad Rangali   Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:22 am

Well I would like to stay there for no longer than a week as long as someone else was paying.It can't be anything but expensive.And after 4/5 days I would be stir crazy.Having said that Mr and Mrs MP probably need only their own company for 2 weeks or more of maxi enjoyment.If Mr and Mrs WS were there the skin and hair would be flying after 4/5 days.I need some blokes to talk with about sport/news/finances/music/films.Just like my Wednesday nights out at home really.
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert

PostSubject: Re: Maldives - Conrad Rangali   Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:57 am

That does happen in the evenings Wirral, you would find that everybody gets to know one another, there are probably only a hundred of you on the island and you meet in the same bars. Like the meet up you form groups and chat, Mrs WS will be chatting to another couple of sophisticated ladies comparing Radley handbags whilst the fellows talk about your list above.

One night we were talking about sharks (as you do) and one guy told us that Malta was considered one of the breeding grounds for the great white, we all laughed but he was bl##dy well right.

During the day the fish in the sea are something else. Dolphins passed by, saw sting rays come in a swim and play around us, turtles and every colourful fish you could imagine. You dont have to even go into the sea they are around the piers in he shallows everywhere. It's real life and you can even put the loo paper in the bog too lol!

I had never met these people in my life before yet within a few days we were all the best of friends eating together

Back to top Go down
Roving Mike

PostSubject: Re: Maldives - Conrad Rangali   Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:11 am

Boredom can be an issue and does strike eventually. For example the MPs will probably not go back as it is probably out of our system now (age+familiarity) but we are glad we did it those times.
Judith is/was totally happy with books on beaches and I was/am a diving/fishing/sailing nut. I also got by news and sports-wise with the dear old internet which is readilly available out there.
Now things are a bit different for us as I have to be a bit more careful with the sun (melanoma) and even Judith starts getting restless so we have searched for and found a compromise. It is a wonderful place called Anguilla which is an hour's flight from Antigua. It is fantastic and we fly there Monday week for a fortnight. It has the beaches, it has people (but not too many) and great bars/restaurants if you want to use them.
Will do a full report on our return!
Back to top Go down
Hayzer
ALL ROUND DESTINATION EXPERT

PostSubject: Re: Maldives - Conrad Rangali   Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:22 am

Once again looks fantastic, must go and check the piggy bank Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Maldives - Conrad Rangali   Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:17 am

What a fabulous review with stunning photo's Mike. :-bd: I must check my lotto numbers from last night.

DE/Prophet of Doom

PostSubject: Re: Maldives - Conrad Rangali   Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:30 pm

Sounds idyllic Mike.Budget considerations rule out Anguila for us.Not pleading poverty you understand but we can have a great time in Majorca at a quality Riu hotel for under £2K allfound.
Back to top Go down
Roving Mike

PostSubject: Re: Maldives - Conrad Rangali   Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:15 pm

will be right behind you next year. I fell in love with Majorca on my recent holiday and wild horses could not keep me away. I will look into that hotel chain.
This Anguilla trip will use up the last of my British Airways airmiles which I earned when working so piggy banks and lottery are for me too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maldives - Conrad Rangali   

Back to top Go down

Maldives - Conrad Rangali

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: WORLDWIDE TRAVEL REVIEW SECTION NEW FOR 2011. EST 18/05/11 :: ENTER HERE :: ASIA includes Maldives, Thailand :: RESORT REVIEW SECTION-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum