Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide travel forum

Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide travel forum

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

European airport traffic growth reports alarming decline in 2012

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Daryn
Admin

PostSubject: European airport traffic growth reports alarming decline in 2012   Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:17 pm

A report from Travel Daily News International.............

I think the report below just goes to show that what we were talking about a few months back is true, the worst thing Greece ever done was join the EU and opt into the Euro, lots of travellers stopped going to Spain and starting going to Greece as the pound was strong against the drachma and everything was substantially cheaper, holidays are so expensive and Brits like to be somewhere that gives them good value for money, look at Turkey doing very well.

Opting into the Euro and making all these countries equally as expensive was a big mistake, I know they thought they were not making money like other countries but tourism turned these countries around. I feel that Spain and Greece once great holiday destinations are suffering because of the Euro.

I just hope the likes of Bulgaria don't follow in there footsteps and opt into the Euro, Bulgaria has a very healthy tourism rate at the moment which is growing every year, reports that I get from this country are all good.

Passenger traffic at EU airports has been in recession since October and barely grew on yearly basis (+0.2%) while non-EU airports posted a strong performance for the year (+8.8%), led by Turkey, Russia, Georgia, Iceland and Moldova. Freight traffic at European airports for the full year decreased by -2.8% and the overall figure for movements also decreased by -2.1%.

BRUSSELS - European airport trade body, ACI Europe, released its traffic results for 2012, a year marked by a progressive slowdown in passenger traffic and continued recession for freight traffic. The overall passenger traffic at Europe’s airports saw an increase of just +1.8% compared to 2011, with a clear divide between the EU market and other European countries.

More of this story HERE

Mad Destination Expert

PostSubject: Re: European airport traffic growth reports alarming decline in 2012   Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:31 pm

The real truth is the majority of Britain can't afford the high prices 154 euro's for chairbeds for 14 days, £3 for a beer and high hotel prices and will go for AI for safety, some won't be going on holiday at all.
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad

PostSubject: Re: European airport traffic growth reports alarming decline in 2012   Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:37 pm

I've had a good few enquiries about hiring my caravan this year. It's getting too expensive for families to go abroad. A caravan in the summer for £400 is peanuts compared to the Med.

MF joke teller

PostSubject: Re: European airport traffic growth reports alarming decline in 2012   Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:54 pm

mark £400 is cheap mate.

my lad brett is paying £729 for a week in aug at chalbarough bay in devon.

i'm paying just over a grand for a week in greece=that's a package for 2 with 20kg luggage and in flight meals for the same week in aug with cardiff flights Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY

PostSubject: Re: European airport traffic growth reports alarming decline in 2012   Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:46 pm

yozef wrote:
mark £400 is cheap mate.

i'm paying just over a grand for a week in greece=that's a package for 2 with 20kg luggage and in flight meals for the same week in aug with cardiff flights:roll:

You certainly got a good deal there then Yozef. cheers As Delboy said, over 150 euros for a sun bed on the beach is outrageous. nono You can really see why people may opt to stay at home, bad weather or not.

Lil 'ol wine drinker

PostSubject: Re: European airport traffic growth reports alarming decline in 2012   Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:51 pm

We paid a lot last year - and will again Embarassed ............was a fab beach though................. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY

PostSubject: Re: European airport traffic growth reports alarming decline in 2012   Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:56 pm

beeech wrote:
We paid a lot last year - and will again Embarassed ............was a fab beach though................. Very Happy

Jesus H Christ, I forgot how much you paid Beeech. fainting fainting

MF joke teller

PostSubject: Re: European airport traffic growth reports alarming decline in 2012   Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:56 pm

dearest place we have been for sunbeds/parasols thingys was menorca

e21 pale Shocked
Back to top Go down
beeech
Lil 'ol wine drinker

PostSubject: Re: European airport traffic growth reports alarming decline in 2012   Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:57 pm

I'm worth it !

Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY

PostSubject: Re: European airport traffic growth reports alarming decline in 2012   Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:59 pm

yozef wrote:
dearest place we have been for sunbeds/parasols thingys was menorca

e21 pale Shocked

B loody Hell Yozef, were you flush that year mate? surprised surprised

Mad Destination Expert

PostSubject: Re: European airport traffic growth reports alarming decline in 2012   Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:17 pm

Just shows how they rip tourist off, I've no sympathy if they go bust through charging too much
Back to top Go down
beeech
Lil 'ol wine drinker

PostSubject: Re: European airport traffic growth reports alarming decline in 2012   Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:38 pm

The thing is ......... ( and I speak only for myself )

I have 1 main holiday a year..... and if it costs €20 a day for beds/umbrella on a lovely beach of my choice - then so be it.

yes - I spend time around hotel pool - but for a change, the beach is appealing - and I will pay for the privilage of the lovely surroundings of a fab beach and beach bars etc............

I appreciate that many people wouldn't - but each to their own ?
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY

PostSubject: Re: European airport traffic growth reports alarming decline in 2012   Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:40 pm

beeech wrote:
The thing is ......... ( and I speak only for myself )

I have 1 main holiday a year..... and if it costs €20 a day for beds/umbrella on a lovely beach of my choice - then so be it.

yes - I spend time around hotel pool - but for a change, the beach is appealing - and I will pay for the privilage of the lovely surroundings of a fab beach and beach bars etc............

I appreciate that many people wouldn't - but each to their own ?

I totally agree with what you are saying Beeech, it is each to their own. Thumsup But it is the robbing gits that are charging those prices that riles me. smilie evil

Lil 'ol wine drinker

PostSubject: Re: European airport traffic growth reports alarming decline in 2012   Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:42 pm

but people are paying the robbing gits prices - so it's catch 22.................
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY

PostSubject: Re: European airport traffic growth reports alarming decline in 2012   Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:44 pm

beeech wrote:

but people are paying the robbing git's prices - so it't catch 22.................

That is a fair point Beeech. clap I try & get a lilo for San, coy coy that has been left at the apartments. Embarassed Embarassed

Mad Destination Expert

PostSubject: Re: European airport traffic growth reports alarming decline in 2012   Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:46 pm

They arrive at the resort not knowing Beeech and then they have your scenario where they would rather pay than ruin their one holiday. However, if I were them I would never go back there again.

Hence the following years, they all look at one another and say why us violin
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad

PostSubject: Re: European airport traffic growth reports alarming decline in 2012   Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:14 pm

yozef wrote:
mark £400 is cheap mate.

We generally look it up what it would cost to hire direct from the camp site for that week, and charge approx Half.

ALL ROUND GOOD GUY

PostSubject: Re: European airport traffic growth reports alarming decline in 2012   Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:16 pm

Mark wrote:
yozef wrote:
mark £400 is cheap mate.

We generally look it up what it would cost to hire direct from the camp site for that week, and charge approx Half.

That seems pretty fair & reasonable Mark, good on you. clap clap

Majorca Mad

PostSubject: Re: European airport traffic growth reports alarming decline in 2012   Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:46 pm

Yeah, over £900 a week for a top caravan on my site in middle of summer mate surprised But the entertainment is spot on I suppose

Top caravan = Platinum

My caravan = Gold (and that's stretching it, more like Silver + )

ALL ROUND GOOD GUY

PostSubject: Re: European airport traffic growth reports alarming decline in 2012   Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:53 pm

Mark wrote:
Yeah, over £900 a week for a top caravan on my site in middle of summer mate surprised But the entertainment is spot on I suppose

Top caravan = Platinum

My caravan = Gold (and that's stretching it, more like Silver + )

Why not say Gold-, at least you get the Gold in. clever

lol! lol! lol! lol!

Majorca Mad

PostSubject: Re: European airport traffic growth reports alarming decline in 2012   Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:59 pm

lol! lol! lol!

PostSubject: Re: European airport traffic growth reports alarming decline in 2012   

Back to top Go down

European airport traffic growth reports alarming decline in 2012

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide travel forum :: LATEST TRAVEL NEWS FROM AROUND THE WORLD :: ENTER HERE-
Jump to:  
Forumotion.com | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum